Sunday, December 20, 2009

Baking Cookies from Scratch for the First Time!

The office is holding a cookie swap tomorrow, and this is the kind of push that I needed to face my baking fears. I baked a bit when I was in elementary school. I would bake cakes and breads on weekends after pouring over recipe books from the library. I lost touch with baking when I realized that other forms of cooking are so much faster with easier clean-ups. I no longer had the patience for bread to rise, for egg whites to get beaten into a nice fluff, for cakes to be decorated, and for the confections to bake--10, 30, 60 minutes seem like an eternity.


I thus devoted my entire Sunday to baking 2 kinds of cookies worthy of my time *wink*. Most of what I cook is without the help of a recipe. I either interpret a dish from my memory of how it tastes, or I create something. I can't risk that with baking! I have absolutely no solid knowledge in making sweets. After asking a couple of foodie friends and much internet research, I picked Saveur magazine's blog cookie pick-Une Gamine dans la Cuisine's mint chocolate chip cookies and Kayotic Kitchen's savory Italian cheese cookies.


The recipes are all hyperlinked to their names above so I won't post them here. I will post my photos and tell you that they are very scrumptious. However, I did make an addition to the savory cookie. I noticed how many people posted on Kayotic Kitchen that their Italian cheese cookies turned out on the dry side, so I added a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of olive oil (I doubled the quantity from the recipe so maybe 1/4 to 1/2 tsp for the recipe) into the mixer along with the dry ingredients. They turned out really well!

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies



Ingredients


Chopped dark chocolate ready to go into the dough


Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

Stack of Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sundried Tomato-Rosemary-Parmigiano Reggiano Cookies


Ingredients

Butter, flour, parmigiano reggiano, cayenne, salt, rosemary

Dough with sundried tomatoes; Chilled dough

Baked Italian Cheese Cookies!

Italian Cheese Cookies

Trio of Italian Cheese Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment