Saturday, October 31, 2009

Autumn Afternoon Tea at Tea Embassy

When I read that Tea Embassy is holding afternoon tea on Halloween, I rushed right over and reserved a spot in the sitting room and invited my parents. The last time I had afternoon tea was at Claridge's in London with my mom. We both loved our experience there, so I thought it would be great to recapture the atmosphere in Austin, this time with my dad!


Tea Embassy
This obviously was a different atmosphere from Claridge's. Instead of a big hotel foyer, we sat on parlor room chairs and a sofa next to the fire place in an intimate tea room. I enjoyed every moment of it.

Afternoon Tea at Tea Embassy
The menu and tea choices were infused with the autumn theme. We drank walnut green tea, cinnamon spice, and pumpkin spice. The walnut green tea was exquisite. It was aromatic yet had a light taste. It has hints of pineapple and coconut. The owner told us that the walnut green, and most of their other flavored teas, is blended in Germany.

Walnut Green Tea; Pumpkin Spice
First Course; Second and Third Courses

Our first course consisted of a pumpkin tart with spiced caramelized onions, mini baked brie topped with cranberry ginger chutney, and apple chicken salad tea sandwich. Each bite were light and pleasant. I especially enjoyed the pumpkin tart, which I think I'll try to recreate for a picnic.


Pumpkin Tart with Caramelized Spiced Onions, Baked Brie with Cranberry Ginger Chutney, and Apple Chicken Tea Sandwiches
I'm more of a savory person, so once the first course of savory bites is over, it always feels downhill from there. It's inevitable and never the fault of the afternoon tea venues. I'm just not much of a sweets person...unless the establishment is La Petite Rose in Paris...
Nonetheless, they did a fantastic job with the cream scones, lemon curd, clotted cream, and jam for the second course. None of us like scones, but we finished these with ease.

Cranberry Cream Scones; Lemon Curd, Clotted Cream, and Jam
The third course is more sweets, but again, we cleaned off the tray, smacked our lips most inelegantly, and drank some more walnut green. Ah, such a hard day's work of acting genteel!

Bread Pudding Bites with Caramel, Apple Spice Tea Cake, and Dark Chocolate Dipped Brownie Bites

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks positively wonderful!! I MUST go - I didn't know that they did afternoon tea. Thanks for the delightful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea Embassy only host afternoon teas on certain dates. Check out their website's calendar for upcoming afternoon tea events.
    http://teaembassy.com/page/Tea-Embassy/CTGY/Events-Calendar

    ReplyDelete