Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Who Knew 东北 (Northeastern China) has Amazing Spanish Tapas

So why would I even eat at a Western restaurant in China? Because I'm human, folks. I'm at a point when I'm starting to get weak at the knees when I think about Western food. I'm still far from the staunch "I want my good ol' American burger" during feeding time, but you have to understand that there is a very limited variety of Chinese food in Northeast China. Pretty much all the banquets I've been to throughout this region consists of the same dishes. In the states, I can lunch and dine on Cantonese, Sichuanese, Taiwanese, Hunanese, and Northern Chinese food. I can get more variety of Chinese food in the U.S. than in Northeast China! Obviously I'm going to start hankering for all other types of cuisine.

Dalian is the exception in the Northeast and came to my variety-deprived tummy's rescue. My boss recommended that I try the Tapas Spanish Restaurant near Russiantown. I had my doubts because Western-style food in Northeast China has been expectedly disappointing. This place knocked my socks off and I vowed to revisit whenever I'm in Dalian. Dalian is the Northeast's foodie heaven because it has an international presence so the demand for Japanese, Korean, European, and American food has long been established before my arrival.

Chef Carlos Chordi's Tapas Spanish Restaurant

Here are the photos from 2 amazing meals. You must order the Crusty Bread with Creamy Tomato Spread and Parma Ham when you dine here. You will not get crusty bread (Chinese take on Western bread is always a version of brioche) anywhere else in Northeast China. Indulge.

Cucumber Honey Smoothie


Caesar Salad; Crusty Bread with Creamy Tomato Spread and Parma Ham


Grilled Musrooms Stuffed with Chopped Walnuts; Shrimp Sauteed with Garlic in White Wine and Olive Oil

Seared Scallops Topped with Caviar on Baked Pumpkin with Mustard Sauce


Spaghetti in a Creamy Tomato Sauce


Lemon Cheesecake with and a Berry Gelee

No comments:

Post a Comment