Saturday, July 11, 2009

Tan Tan Restaurant: Awesome Chao Zhou Cuisine


Tan Tan Restaurant
Tan Tan is located in a crime-ridden area of Houston, so although I highly recommend this restaurant, I urge you to take precautions and go in the day time.
We bought a bunch of food to bring back to Austin so I can enjoy some Chao Zhou (Southeast China) food before flying off to Northeast China.

I didn't appreciate this restaurant until this revisit. I always thought that this was just a joint that serves up late night nosh for Chinatown clubbers rather than a respectable culinary establishment. It saddens me to think that it took me 7 years to realize Tan Tan's excellence. It's even more discouraging to face the fact that there isn't a Chinese restaurant of this caliber in Austin.

If you're new to the Chinatown in Houston, definitely begin your food adventures here.


Vietnamese Eggrolls; Yang Zhou Fried Rice


Hmm...what can be inside this lotus leaf?

...A big fat dungeness crab!!!!

...AND steamed rice with scallops, crab meat, shrimp, scallions, and ginger in a seafood sauce!!!!

Delicious dungeness crab from the lotus wrapped steamed rice

No comments:

Post a Comment