Saturday, July 11, 2009

Cafe Express

I'm leaving for China soon for an internship, and I took a day trip to Houston to obtain my visa. This was a great excuse to museum hop around Montrose and eat a bunch of yummy food while I waited for the Chinese Consulate General to give me my visa. That's what you get with a foodie who's a former art geek!

While at the MFAH, we snacked on the Shrimp Campeche with Avocado & Chipotle Sauce at Cafe Express. I did not taste one bit of chipotle...just a bunch of ketchup. At least the shrimp and avocado were very fresh and the tortilla chips were delicious.


Shrimp Campeche with Avocado & Chipotle Sauce

My dining partner and I shared the Mediterranean Salmon and the Pasta Capri. The Pasta Capri brought back great memories. We used to eat their Pasta Capri practically every other weekend in Houston. Alas, Austin has done well in patronizing local businesses, and Cafe Express has not penetrated this market...yet. Austin may succumb to the powers of the chains with the development of places like The Domain and the gentrification of East Austin. The surprising fall of the popular Shuggie's at the South Austin Trailer Park and Eatery may be a bad sign that Austin will soon be assimilated. (please excuse the Borg talk).


Mediterranean Salmon-with green beans, spicy lemon parsley sauce & roasted artichoke hearts; Pasta Capri-linguine with shrimp & sauteed spinach and creamy roasted tomato sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment