Sunday, June 14, 2009

My First BBQ in Lockhart

Chisholm Trail BBQ

A friend, who has a ranch in Lockhart, introduced us to Lockhart's famous BBQ scene yesterday. There are 4 famous BBQ joints that are properly advertised on the city government's website. Paula took us to her favorite, which unlike the others, has a ton of sides to go with the meats (Black's is the other option for great BBQ with sides). Others focus solely on serving up meats.

The line to get into Chisholm wrapped all the way around the outside walls of the building at high noon. We came back an hour later and encountered a shorter line that still queued out the door.

The lunch menu comes with 3 sides, and you get to scoop as much as you want. I was greedy and went way overboard. I know BBQ is all about the meats, but for me, the BBQ experience just isn't complete without the presence of potato salad at the very least! I ordered the extra large plate that comes with beef brisket, a sausage link, and a pork sparerib and I picked out potato salad, broccoli salad, and macaroni salad for my sides. My BBQ mate ordered the same meats, and picked out fried squash, mac and cheese, and green beans.

The sausage was a huge disappointment because the texture is all wrong. When you cut into the link, the meat inside squishes out of the skin and breaks apart rather than cut off in one whole piece. The brisket and the sparerib quickly salvaged this Lockhart BBQ experience though! Brisket is tough to impress, quite literally. Even Salt Lick's brisket can come out too dry for my taste. I usually remedy this by drowning the beef in sauce, but Chisholm's briskets don't need the sauce. It's juicy and flavorful by itself. The pork ribs are super smokey, there's really no point in heightening the flavorful with sauce. The ribs definitely trump Salt Lick's...sorry Fickle Foodie, I know how staunchly you stand by Salt Lick. At these prices (Extra Large Plate of Beef, Sausage, Ribs, and 3 Sides = $7.95!!!!), I think Chisholm Trail beats BBQ in Austin...but then you have to factor in price of gas...but then, there's the super addictive, incomparable sweet tea at Chisholm Trail!


2 Extra Large Lunch Plates of Beef, Sausage, and Rib with sides

Obviously, my point in ordering the extra large was to have plenty of leftovers back in Austin. Good thing we don't live in Europe, where doggie bags are taboo. We made room in our tummies for a comforting warm peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream.

Mmmm...time for a nap!



Warm Peach Cobbler a la mode

No comments:

Post a Comment