Saturday, May 23, 2009

Emeril's South Miami Beach Sunday Brunch


Sunday Brunch at Emeril's
I say $32 for a 3 course meal at a celebrity chef's restaurant is a steal. Of course, it's not a L'Os à Moelle deal, but close enough. My best friend thought I was silly for choosing Emeril's in Miami, but I was curious about Emeril's food and he happened to have a restaurant in Miami. Why not? I always thought Emeril was uber cheesy with the "BAM" and hyperactive behavior on camera. Can Emeril really cook? I looked at a few Sunday brunch places, but they all seemed to offer the same as any other brunch venue in Austin. Thus, brunch at Emeril's in Miami didn't seem too off the mark. At least I can't get his take on Louisiana cookin' in Austin.
In the spirit of brunch, I ordered an alcoholic beverage that I obviously couldn't finish. Remember? I'm an alcohol whimp. I'm not qualified to comment on the Cruzan punch, but I can comment on the wonderfully fluffy muffin and coffee cake! Here it is: I want more. Why give us only one of each? Why not a basketful, damn it! Phew. Got that outta my system.



Cruzan Punch-cruzan mango, coconut, banana, and pineapple flavored rums with fresh orange, pineapple, and cranberry juice and Blueberry Muffin and Coffee Cake


Mom had the Gumbo, Steak and Eggs, and Bread Pudding while I had the BBQ Shrimp, Salmon, and Banana Cream Pie. The meal was glorious. The BBQ shrimp tasted similar to my mom's braised prawns which has nothing to do with BBQ. I couldn't help comparing the dish to my mom's prawns. They're both equally tasty, but I do believe mom serves up 2 pounds of prawns at a lower cost than the price of my 4 neatly lined up shrimp at Emeril's. We always expect gumbo to be heavy and hearty, but mom's gumbo was light, which my mom prefers.


Gumbo and BBQ Shrimp-with rosemary biscuit

Both of the main courses were delicious, but I liked the steak and eggs more. I would pick steak over salmon (unless it's smoked salmon) anyday, but mom gets first dibs.


Steak and Eggs-with gaufrette potatotes and Emeril's homemade Worcestershire and Pan Roasted Atlantic Salmon-with grilled watermellon and sweet onion arugula salad and citurs vanilla vinaigrette

For dessert, I would actually prefer more blueberry muffins and coffee cake over my banana cream pie. The banana cream was thick and almost tasteless. It had a texture of fresh cement. I don't understand why people say it's a must-eat. I should have ordered the beignets. Again, mom had the better dish with the bread pudding.

New Orleans Bread Pudding-with brown butter bourbon sauce and praline crumbles and Banana Cream Pie

I enjoyed the brunch tremendously and would return again if I have the chance, but I don't see myself coming for lunch or dinner considering the price and portions.

No comments:

Post a Comment