Tuesday, December 7, 2010

New York City Day 7

I have been so bogged down with schoolwork that I abandoned food blogging for the duration of the Fall semester!  Well, I have a lot of catching up to do, including finishing up on my July NYC trip!

After the amazing dinner at Aburiya Kinnosuke the previous evening, I enjoyed a leisurely walk through Central Park and a light, pastry-centric lunch at the Bouchon Bakery at the Time Warner Center.

Views from Central Park

The seasonal pastries - raspberry croissants and raspberry eclairs - were incredibly scrumptious!  I fell madly in love with these light and fruity concoctions.  I thought that the raspberries in the raspberry eclair would come in jelly or cream/custard form, but the eclair was more of a sandwich of raspberries, which is even cooler! 

Raspberry Croissants

Raspberry Eclair

And as a last day scramble to soak up the NYC food scene, we headed back out to Flushing to scope out what goodies to bring back home.  There were tons of small Chinese bakeries sprinkled throughout Flushing.  We picked out a dozen flakey green tea and red bean paste with preserved egg yolk pastries at one of these bakeries.  I highly recommend the green tea su!

Green Tea "Su" (flakey pastry) and Red Bean Paste Su

Since we only had the glutinous rice steamed with dungeness crab dish at 東湖 New Imperial Palace Seafood Restaurant, we decided to revisit the establishment to try other dishes for our last dinner in New York.

Chicken Soup with Shitake Mushrooms

Stir-fried Clams in Black Bean Sauce

Crispy Fried Seafood Rolls

Braised Abalone with Shitake Mushrooms and Bitter Greens

Steamed Sable Fish Topped with Preserved Vegetables

The food was good, but I wasn't extremely impressed.  Still, the leftovers made a pretty good breakfast zhou (rice porridge) the next morning.  Hooray to the versatile hotel coffee makers!  See my tips on eating well on a budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment