Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Lake Travis and Soleil Media Event

When I received an invitation to Soleil's grand opening party, I decided that this was a perfect excuse to trek out to Lake Travis and enjoy a warm December day.  I spent the entire afternoon walking around the lake and lounging out on the terrace at Oasis to watch the sunset.  Ahhhh....this is how to spend winter break, but alas, this is not how I'll be spending the rest of my winter break.  I'm off to conduct field research for school soon in Beijing, where I'll be stressed and freezing!



Sunset View from Oasis

Sunset View from Oasis

After sunset, I went next door to the grand opening party of Soleil.  I can't believe that it took this long for another restaurant to open around Oasis at Lake Travis!  Soleil is a restaurant with a great view and a Mediterranean-inspired menu. 

Soleil

Soleil

The restaurant was served up super fresh oysters and delectable hors d'oeuvres.

Raw Oysters Bar


Salmon with candied fennel, granny smith apple, and yogurt

Jumbo Cocktail Shrimp

Lump Crab with chorizo and potato

Tuna with tomato, and black olive mousse

Unfortunately, the buffet that was set up to showcase the entrees on their regular dinner menu probably did not do the restaurant justice.  The chicken turned dry, the pork tenderloin tough, and the beef tenderloin overcooked.  I can't tell if it's because of the actual cooking or if it's because all meats became dry at buffets.  The only truly delicious entree offered that evening was the pan seared trout with crab meat, which was flavorful and tender.


Bruschetta

Seared Tuna with cannellini beans

Smoked Mussel

Soleil Arranged a Buffet Station so Media Guests Could Sample a Little Bit of Everything

Lemon Cheesecake, Tiramisu, Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

In the end, I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and feel that Soleil will finally give Lake Travis visitors an alternative to Tex-Mex at Oasis.

No comments:

Post a Comment