Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving Pot Luck

An LBJ Thanksgiving Day
I had the happiest Thanksgiving dinner this year. You just can't beat a day of great company and great food!
One reason why my family does not celebrate Thanksgiving with the usual spread is because my parents dislike potatoes, my mom dislikes pumpkin pies or most pies of any kind for that matter, my dad thinks that Chinese vegetable dishes taste infinitely better than most Western vegetable dishes, and we all dislike turkey, assuming that there is just no way to make a whole turkey flavorful and moist.
I had my reservations about finally eating my first Thanksgiving turkey. My fellow LBJ grad student and friend, Kevin, deserves a standing ovation for the juiciest and wonderfully fragrant turkey I've ever had! So brining the turkey does the trick!

Kevin's Turkey Seasoned with Cinnamon and Other Yummy Things and Stuffed with Apples, Onions, and Carrots
With such a star dish at our buffet line, nothing could have brought this dinner down! Everyone's dish turned out delicious. Here's a recap:

The Spread: Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples, Carved Turkey, Savory-Sweet Potato Mash, Corn, Cremini Mushrooms Stuffed with Prosciutto, Fried Rice with Turkey Liver, Chinese Savory Sticky Rice "Stuffing", Vegan Mushroom Gravy, Green Bean Casserole

My Cremini Mushrooms Stuffed with Prosciutto; Martina's Chinese Savory Sticky Rice "Stuffing" with shrimp, shitake, green onion, and egg

Erin's Vegan Mushroom Gravy; Jamie's Green Bean Casserole


Erin's Baked Sweet Potatoes with Apples; Jamie's Savory-Sweet Potato Mash

Thanksgiving on a Plate

Fickle Foodie's Pumpkin Whoopie Pies; Brian's Key Lime Pie; Shu's Tapioca in Coconut Milk

I ate this for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving!
Game Night! Cranium and Taiwanese Mahjong (and Apples to Apples and the infuriating Foodie Fight)
A big thanks to our LBJ "Three's Company" for hosting a memorable Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment