Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Calvados Seafood Rillettes Stuffed Mushrooms

Mushrooms stuffed with ginger, garlic, and lobster and salmon rillettes drenched in calvados
I love stuffed mushrooms. The bite-size balls just burst with savory and earthy juices and flavors. And I feel like you can stuff mushrooms with almost anything!
After I bought a jar of Calvados-spiked lobster and salmon rillettes from La Mere Poulard in Mont Saint Michel, France, I couldn't think of a way to eat it. The smell of seafood and calvados was too strong for me to eat the rillettes right out of the jar on a baguette, so I knew I would have to somehow cook the rillettes.
Thus, the stuffed mushroom idea came along.
Ingredients
cleaned mushrooms (with the stems out)
chopped stems (trim off and discard the bottom of the stems first)
minced garlic
minced ginger
any kind of rillettes
olive oil
Mix the chopped stems, garlic, and ginger into the rillettes. I like to use ginger to balance out strong flavors, especially with seafood. Scoop the filling mixture into the mushrooms, place in a baking dish, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, and bake until the mushrooms are cooked. Drain the juices before plating. I like to keep the juices in a separate dish to dip or use in cooking something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment