Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cupcakes, Mini Cakes, and Cake Balls, Oh My!

How can a UT freshman not gain 15 pounds? UT grad students may have to worry about grad student 20 with all these dessert joints around Austin. I'm not a big cupcake or cake fan, so an occassional decadent mouthful doesn't worry me.

Polkadots Cupcake Factory


Polkadots Cupcake Factory offers interesting flavors and the prettiest cupcakes of them all, but the cake is a bit dry, and the portion is small for the price.



Strawberries and Cream Cupcake

Hey Cupcake



The flavors at Hey Cupcake do not impress me. However, the occassional vegan specials are pretty good.

Vegan Strawberry Cupcake and Vegan Orange Cupcake with Almond Frosting
Sugar Mama's Bakeshop



The winner for best cupcakes in Austin is Sugar Mama's Bakeshop. The cakes are moist, flavors are enticing, and the size is just right.


Black & Tan, Vegan Maple Walnut, Jack's Lemon, and Chocolate Chip Pumpkin


Whole Foods
Do not venture into the Whole Foods bakery and dessert section if you're on a diet. Although you can persuade yourself into buying just one mini cake, you'll likely end up buying one too many. I highly recommend the lemon poppyseed berry chantilly cake. AMAZING.


Banana Foster Cake, Lemon Poppy Seed & berries cake, mini eclairs, key lime pies, cookie sandwiches, and brownies


Holy Cacao
And then there's the new dessert trailer, Holy Cacao. I had my doubts about cake balls on a stick until I bit into one and discovered a creamy morsel of the grasshopper. The red velvet cake ball was equally yummy. I will leave out the s'more on my next visit. It was way too sweet.

assortment of cake balls and smore on a stick and half eaten grasshopper cake ball

No comments:

Post a Comment