Saturday, July 2, 2011

Taiwanese "Xiao Chi" at The Rice Bowl

Pin It

Coco's was my go-to Taiwanese xiaochi (snacks) restaurant during undergrad in Austin.  However, I outgrew  the place by the time I entered grad school.  The Rice Bowl opened its doors this year and it offers quite a broad mix of Taiwanese and Northern Chinese dishes.  I'm not impressed by the listing of generic Chinese dishes, but their menu was saved by the awesome Roast Beef Rolls!  I believe it's the only place in Austin that serves this!  By "roast beef" they mean soy-marinated beef with tendon, which gives the beef a gelatinous marble surface.  Even if you're not into beef tendon, I promise that you won't even notice it when you bite in.

Roast Beef Rolls

Below are other dishes I've tried but weren't particularly great, except for the awesomely tasty Stir-fried Green Beans with Ground Pork!  The most disappointing dish was the beef noodle soup.  The noodles were chewy and kind of luke warm and the broth tasted like just water and soy sauce, no depth whatsoever.  Taiwanese beef noodle soup is supposed to have a very rich, deep beef flavor.  This broth was unfortunately flat.  The green beans and beef rolls, however, make the Rice Bowl worth frequent visits! 

Pig's Ear

Taiwanese Beef Noodles

Green Onion Pancakes

Stir-fried Green Beans with Ground Pork

No comments:

Post a Comment