Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Beet, Apple, and Cheddar Tarts

Pin It

When autumn arrived in DC, our ovens began working overtime!

Once I started seeing apples arrive en masse at Wegmans, I immediately wanted to cook with apples, but in more interesting ways than in pies.  I figured that pairing beets with apple would be a good way to ease me into cooking with beets and do something creative with the good ol' apple.  I've never cooked with beets before.  Its earthy smell and intense red pigment intimidate me.  Thankfully, I found the awesome tart recipe below from MarthaStewart.com.

Beet, Apple, and Cheddar Tarts
(Recipe Adapted from Martha Stewart)


1 thinly sliced Empire apple
1 thinly sliced red beet
2 shallots sliced
1 thawed frozen puff pastry
3/4 cup shredded colby cheese
1/2 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste

I added shallots to the recipe to make the dish slightly more savory than the original.



I feel like this tart can be eaten as an appetizer, breakfast, entree, side, or dessert.  Its size and flavors can fit in any course of a meal!  I decided to reheat a couple of the tarts for dinner one evening to go with a bowl of homemade Tom Yum soup.

Beet, Apple, and Cheddar Tarts with Homemade Tom Yum Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment