Monday, July 19, 2010

Happy Hour at Moonshine Patio Bar & Grill

I never planned on spending most of this summer in Austin, so I haven't been in the mood to post about food in town.  I know. That's stupid, but that's the only explanation I can come up with.

This doesn't mean that I've been deprived of good food though, and I'm far from done with trying the eateries around Austin.  I've been wanting to try Moonshine Patio Bar and Grill for I believe 2 years, and I finally managed to go to its happy hour on my birthday a month ago.

Happy hour was such a bargain, and the food was delicious.

Free Seasoned Popcorn

The main draw for me was the corn dog shrimp that I read about in a local magazine a while back.  I usually hate corn dogs because they remind me of nasty school cafeteria corn dogs, which have a cakey, grease-soaked batter.  Blech.  So I was actually curious about the honey mustard blueberry swirl more so than the actual corn dog shrimp.  I finally tasted a "corn dog" that I liked this time!  Moonshine's corn dog shrimp is crunchy rather than cakey and the mustard was surprisingly spicy in a good way.  An overly sweet honey mustard would not have worked as well.

Moonshine "Corn Dog" Shrimp with HoneyMustard and Blueberry Swirl

Moonshine Grill really knows how to deep fry things.  The beer battered asparagus was crispy on the outside as it should be.  I've had so many bad experiences with soft, bready batter elsewhere.  My gal pals raved over the buttermilk ranch.
Beer Battered Asparagus with Buttermilk Ranch

My favorite deal of the evening was the half-price BBQ duck quesadilla.
BBQ Duck Quesadilla with Mango Salsa and Goat Cheese Crema

St. Louis Style Pork Ribs with Onion Rings

I'm not a big fan of the desserts here because they are all pretty heavy. 

White Chocolate Bread Pudding

Red Velvet Cake

I will come back to try their Sunday brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment